Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A little less trash, a little more praise

I was reading Acts 5 this morning, and I have come to several realizations that I felt like sharing-- more so that I could better understand what I'm reading than to share some revelation with any one who might care to read. The whole book is filled with powerful stuff. Like Ananias and Sapphira, for example. He sold some of his property and brought only a part of it and laid it at the apostles' feet. He kept some of the money for himself. When Peter questioned him and told him what he had ACTUALLY done-- Lie to God--"he fell down and breathed his last." He straight up died! Same thing with his wife, whom (let's be honest) probably initiated the lie in the first place (totally inferring, of course.) What struck me the most is what I was thinking while I read this... "Gosh, that seems a little harsh! I mean, he was doing a good thing by giving them some money. He didn't even really say it was all of it... " I am JUSTIFYING this man and woman's sin!! Typical-- I am world's worst at justifying things. It's really terrible, and it's something I am working on. Then I realized, we do this ALL the time! How many times do I try to give some of my time/money/talents, but not all. How many times do I justify thinking that "Some is better than nothing." We are called to live IN this world, not of it. We are called to surrender ALL to Jesus. He does not want part of us-- see Ananias and Sapphira. Hello.

Then, you can read on down to verses 17-42, and read an account where the apostles were arrested and freed. This happens lots of times in the New Testament. (I am reminded of a good ole camp song "fried ham"... "Same song, 2nd verse, a little bit louder and a whole lot worse...) A couple of things that stand out on this particular instance, God used a pretty smart Pharisee, Gamaliel (v. 34)" "a teacher of the law held in honor by all the people..." He basically reasoned with the other Saducees and Pharisees by saying (again... my paraphrase in case that isn't abundantly obvious!) "Look, we have been down this road with other folks that lead our people astray. After the leader was killed, all the followers dispersed. So with these guys, let's just see what happens if we leave them alone. If this plan is of man-- they will disappear and be out of our hair in no time anyway. If this plan is really God's plan like they say it is... (v.39) ..."You will not be able to overthrow them. You might even be found opposing God!" Basically, If they are right, and we are wrong... I would rather be on their side. So the other on the council kind of listened... they didn't exactly leave them alone. The beat the apostles, told them not to speak the name of Jesus and sent them on their merry way. And the 2nd thing about this passage that really spoke to me, was that it actually WAS a MERRY way!
(v.41-42) "Then they left the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name. And every day, in the temple and from house to house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as Christ."

Now let me just tell you, I am a supreme whiner. I call it "self expression," but really... it's just whining. I heard Roxanne (Roxanne and Chris on WDJC-93.7 FM out of Bham) say a few mornings ago that "Whining is like trash in God's ears." I must be my own little dumpster or massive garbage truck filling our Creator's head with my rubbish! I feel terrible about that, and I am trying to recycle more :) Recycle Praise and do what these disciples did... REJOICE that I am counted worthy to suffer. My suffering is incomparable. I know that, but still, I hope to be a lot less whiny and a lot more joyful in the days to come. Oh Lord, please forgive me and give me Your strength to be joyful to be counted worthy to suffer dishonor for your name!

No comments:

Post a Comment