Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Stop and Smell...errr...READ about the roses!

So, for the past month I have been working hard core and pretty much NON-STOP on a federal grant project.  We (at Hospice of Marshall County) are attempting to create a Palliative Care Alliance in Marshall County, and I am super pumped about the opportunity to work on something that hits so close to home.  This program would provide non-hospice comfort care to patients diagnosed with a life-limiting illness, but not yet appropriate for hospice care, or not yet ready to stop receiving disease-altering medications.  My Granddaddy could have really benefited from such a program, and I am now part of an organization trying to get one. It is really cool and affirming that I am exactly where I am supposed to be in terms of my career choices.

With all that said... I estimate that I've spent about 200 hours in the past month (At least 85 in the past week!) researching and writing this grant.  It has been CRAZY! And if you know me, you know that I don't sit still very well.  So sitting at my computer focusing on one task for 200 hours was a stretch!  I was out of my comfort zone for sure.  But, I discovered a ton of helpful information about these programs, which I am super passionate about.  And I discovered some new things about myself as well.  For instance, 17 weeks is NOT too early for your feet to swell, even if you don't look "that" pregnant yet.  Who knew?!  After sitting up at my computer for about 14 hours on Thursday (in the same position), I looked down on Friday morning and noticed that my right foot and ankle were GINORMOUS!    I decided it was time for some changes!  After all, according an article on the livestrong website, "An online journal article of the American Academy of Pediatrics suggests that prenatal stress and anxiety is predictive of certain illnesses and the use of antibiotics after birth. This underscores conventional wisdom that pregnant women should make time for rest and activities that promote peace and relaxation.  "So during a pretty stressful week, I thought it was time that I started thinking about implementing some techniques for relaxation.  You know me-- I have to plan to relax :)

According to Baby Center-- your baby develops a sense of hearing at week 17.  So, Jefforey and I decided it was time to start reading to our baby!  We have heard of many benefits of reading in utero, and while they may all be a big pile of hooey, we love to read aloud together anyway.  So we figure, what's the harm?! 

Not to mention, "A 2008 study from Johns Hopkins University and published on the National Institutes of Health site reports that a fetus responds with beneficial signs in its heart rhythm when a mother experiences induced relaxation. It is unknown how, if at all, a baby in utero benefits from attempts to enrich her through reading, talking and singing."  Read more here.

I will say, even if we don't pop out a child who is automatically enrolled in Mensa upon issuance of his birth certificate-- reading to the baby has proven to be very relaxing and a positive bonding experience for us.  Like every subject, there is a lot of info available online-- event teaching you How to Read to Your Baby inside the womb in case you might be interested!

By the way-- only 9 more days until we know if we're having a boy or girl!  Any predictions?  I finally broke down and took a Gender Predictor Quiz.  It confirmed my thoughts-- we will have a Trace Parker Morgan!  We shall see on Oct. 25th (hopefully)!

No comments:

Post a Comment